Lymphedema is the buildup of soft tissue inside the lymph system. This blocks your body’s ability to deliver fluids and nutrients. Our Boca Raton physical therapists are especially trained to treat Lymphedema. This condition causes your arms, legs, and other parts of the body swell up. Over time, this affects your lymph system’s capacity to deliver nutrients to different parts of the body.
Some of the most common signs include:
- Swelling in the legs, arms, fingers, and toes
- A tight feeling around your skin
- Trouble moving the joints in the infected areas.
- Hair loss
- Trouble sleeping
- A burning feeling in your legs.
There are two types including
- Primary lymphedema: This is the abnormal development and evolution of the lymph system. It is a condition that occurs at birth or later on in life.
- Secondary lymphedema: This is when the lymph system is blocked or damaged. It is from scar tissue that builds up during chemotherapy, surgery, and after the removal of lymph nodes.
Both target your body’s lymph system and its ability to move nutrients to different parts.